------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Friday, June 01, 2007

Humble Beginnings

This week has been quite sparse in the posting front. Life really seems to have gotten busy, and with the beautiful weather we've been having, knitting time has slowed down a bit. The second Heart Crook sock did get a heel yesterday and I'm really hoping to get the leg done this weekend at the trial in New York. We'll see.

I did have a nice little reminder pop up in my email this morning. My little blog turns two today! From my goofy first post to the mountain of comments on both the Urban Half Zip and the Turkish Stockings it has been quite a journey.

I wasn't really sure where this blog would take me, or if I'd even really commit to writing it. But, here we are two years later (wow - time really flies!) and I have made countless friends, many who I have been lucky enough to meet in person, but some who I rely on the "tubes" of the net to communicate with.

My knitting has evolved quite a bit since that first entry. My first few sweaters (Banff, Top Secret, and Dolman Updated) were big, boxy knits - I do still wear Dolman on occasion, but the yarn has felted a little and it is that rough, tweedy Rowanspun that needs another layer to be worn under it. Eventually, I made the Hourglass Sweater and Smocking on the Move - both a little more form fitting, and both are worn quite often. My knowledge of shaping as well as how to pick the right size pattern helped make more comfortable and flattering sweaters.

I didn't make my first sock until June of 2005 - Very Tall Socks knit two at a time on two circulars. I don't mess around. After those became a mess (see , I decided to take a step back and just learn sock construction. Two pairs of BMG Footies flew off my needles and I was hooked. Socks of one kind or another have been on the needles ever since.

Colorwork jumped into my bag of tricks with a simple hat back in March of 2006. Another addictive knitting skill! Somehow, my hands took to that two color knitting very fast. Since then, colorwork is always on my mind. I'm not sure I'd ever make a Fair Isle sweater - a bit warm - but socks, hats and mitts - they are ever present. This sweater really caught my attention though. I could see something simple and pretty like this coming off my needles in the future.

Most of all, a big thank you. This blog and my knitting wouldn't really exist without all of you. All the comments, tips, tricks and things that make me laugh - every single one has meant something. All the things I have learned have been from the internet or books - this is truly an amazing community and I am honored to be a part of it!

(I promise knitting content and pictures next week!!!!)