------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Spinning - and some Mittens!

My sister Naomi has really come a long way in her spinning. She is mostly, if not all, self taught and I think the yarn she has made so far is amazing! She started a year or so back with some Alpaca she got at the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival. It was a very short staple, and that is what she learned to spin on. Not the easiest. Now, she is flying through ounces of roving at a crazy pace! In just the last months she has spun and plied both Merino roving as well as three hand dyed colors of Merino/Tencel. The Merino is beautiful. A pale light blue, it is super soft and springy.

Light Blue Merino Handspun
The Merino/Tencel was handdyed by us at the dying weekend we had at Sarah's back in August.
The first is a beautiful steely purple color.
Purple Merino Tencel Handspun
The second is a beautiful silver - it looks like spun metal!
Silver Tencel Merino Handspun
The third is a great tone of blue. It is still on the wheel, so pics of that one to come later. Now, since she did the spinning, I get to do the knitting! Any ideas for these lovlies? They are all from 4 oz of fiber and spun to about a sport/heavy fingering weight yarn. I think one may become a Lace Ribbon Scarf for my mom. Naomi is also looking for sources for more fiber! Preferably Merino, BFL or blends. Anyone with great sources, let me know!

As for knitting, I had to keep up with her spinning! I finished a pair of Peekaboo Mitts (Rav link) for Naomi. She has long coveted the pair I made a while back, so I gathered together some scraps and made her a pair.
Peekaboo Mitts with Cowl
Not even thinking, I matched her Sherbrooke Cowl perfectly! The stripes are kind of hard to see, but there are light blue, pale pink and white in the middle as well as the green. They were a super quick and fun knit.

More snow on tap for us today mixed with some freezing rain and rain. Pretty much everything Mother Nature could throw at us! I hope everyone has a safe, happy and festive holiday, whichever one you celebrate!!!!!!!