------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Last Post of The Year

I can't believe 2008 is coming to a close already! Like usual, time has just flown by. Summer seemed like just yesterday! Mother Nature has managed to keep us on our toes right until the very end. We are getting quite a bit of snow today - right now it's coming down at a frantic rate, and the winds are very gusty too. Makes for some nice sideways falling snow.

12-31-08 Storm
Of course, Ace loves being outside in it. Tucker is curled up on the couch, and Otis is recovering from his minor surgery yesterday.
Otis after surgery
He got the last two vertebrae of his tail removed. He had an injury at the end of his tail that would just not heal. We have tried for months with no luck. It hurt and was very irritated, and it's all he thought about, so in his best interest, I decided to just have the end removed. He seems much happier and much more comfortable already. His tail isn't running his life anymore! I'm hoping for quick healing and he'll be back to normal in no time.

I have been managing to do some knitting also! Hubby's sock #2 is now complete.
Forest's Sock #2
I'm still not 100% happy with the ribbing or cast off. I did 1x1 rib, but it just doesn't seem "elastic" enough. It doesn't bounce back the way I'd like. I went down a needle size also. Would 2x2 maybe have been better? Sock #1 is going to get mailed back to me as I needed to do a couple of modifications to make it fit just right. I was pretty close on the first try though! It just needed a few more rows in the foot to make it a bit longer, and tighter ribbing.

The mittens have also been cast on and the corrugated ribbing complete.
Dad's Mitten Cuff
I'm afraid I won't be able to show much more of them once I start the fun colorwork part, but I hope to have them done quickly so I can begin work on some other projects waiting in the wings! Socks (of course), along with another Turn A Square hat for dad (the first was too big) and a scarf/shawl for mom. Lots to do in the new year!

I wish everyone a happy, healthy and craft filled New Year! See you in 2009!