------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Thursday, July 31, 2008

So Close

Phyllo Seaming
Weaving in the ends on the Phyllo pullover! I really can't believe it's this close to done. I do have a few rounds more on the neck, but I'm trying to figure out how many extra rounds to do so it will be a "normal" neck and not a boatneck. I tried it on and the neck is really wide, so I'd like to do a few more decrease rounds and tighten it up a bit. I do love the fit though. I'm weaving in the ends now because I got majorly tangled in them when I tried it on. With not knowing how many decrease rounds I'll need, there will be lots of on and off in the near future and I don't want to have to deal with all those ends. I did find one boo-boo in the chart, but I think I can duplicate stitch a fix for it.

Summer is in full swing and the garden is really taking off. The tomatoes are starting to fill up the plants - I've been running around every night watering and staking to keep them from flopping on the ground with the weight of the fruit. The Roma plant has the most so far.
Romas
I hope they all don't ripen at once - it would be nice to savor them over time. I did pick my first one the other night though, along with a few other things that needed picking. My first little harvest!
First Harvest 7-29-08
And a colorful one at that. Jalepenos, Snap peas (the last of them - they didn't do well this year) a beautiful orange tomato as well as the Roma and a Hansel Eggplant. I fully admit I bought this variety of eggplant because of the name - all I could think of was Owen Wilson in Zoolander. I giggle every time I look at the plant. It is quite the producer though. There are about 10 or so more eggplants in various sizes all over the plant.

My happiest find this week in the garden? My Brussel Sprouts are actually sprouting! You can see them in the crook of every leaf at the base. Pretty exciting in my little garden world!
Brussels!

We also picked up our CSA delivery this week. More blueberries!
CSA 07-29-08
I used a couple of the scallions already, and man they were strong. I have never had any that onion-y before. I plan on making more crispy kale also, but in smaller batches - it doesn't store at all.

It's almost Friday, thank goodness!