------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Couple of Successes and One Not So Much

Working through the bounty of the CSA last week, I did come up with a few new recipes that I think will be keepers. The first sounds really strange, but was strangely good!

Roasted Crispy Kale
Remove stems from one bunch of kale. Tear leaves into large pieces and wash thoroughly. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to coat. Place on cookie sheet or rimmed baking sheet and bake at 375 until they are crispy and a touch browned. You will probably have to flip and move them around once during cooking to make sure all sides are cooked, about 10 minutes total.

It sounds weird, but the kale gets really, really crisp - almost like a chip - and melts in your mouth. I put a bit too much salt on (darn humidity made it clump!), but I can see doing this in the future with maybe some garlic powder and chili flakes too. Both my sister and I kept eating it and making ponderous faces after each bite. It tastes like nothing else I have ever had, and was unusual and good all at the same time.

Kale with Carmelized Onions and Balsamic
Based on a recipe in Vegetables Every Day

 Kale with Balsamic Vinegar and Onions
1 bunch Kale
1 large onion
olive oil
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
salt/pepper to taste

Remove the leaves from the kale and wash thoroughly. Set a pot of water to boil with a heavy pinch of salt. Plunge the kale in and blanch for 3-4 minutes. Drain. Saute the onion in olive oil over medium/low heat until carmelized and soft. Add the kale and Balsamic vinegar and cook a few minutes more.

This recipe I really liked. The carmelized onions added a nice sweetness, and the balsamic added to that with a sweet/tang that really set the dish apart! I have never blanched kale or any green before, but I liked cooking it that way as opposed to sauteing the heck out of it and making it soggy. This I will be making again.

Not really a veggie, but pretzels are a favorite around my house. My sister loves them and we seem to make them whenever she is around.
Pretzel making
We use the recipe out of the King Arthur Flour Cookbook. It has never failed us!

The Spring Forward sock is now on a time out. I'm asking a few friends to measure their insteps as the socks are too small for my sister also. I have a bad feeling that they may just get ripped. The pattern repeat is 11 stitches - too many to add another full repeat to the sock. I really do like the pattern, so I may play around with sticking a knit or purl column inbetween each repeat. Or, I may just move on and knit one of the other ninety-billion sock patterns I have!

Blowing the dust off the mittens I started a while back, they are now back in the rotation with the immanent demise of the sock. Yes, I am knitting!