------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Shhhhhh.......

There won't be tons of knitting to post in the next chunk of time. I'm doing some super secret sample knitting (SSSK) for Cookie, and the sock is under lock and key until the book comes out. All I can say is that it's a classic Cookie pattern, and has been quite fun and challenging to knit so far.

Secret Project
This one is going to be hard when the pair is done. Since it's sample knitting and not test knitting, the socks go back to her. I'm ok with that though - they'll probably end up more well traveled than me! Out and about in trunk shows, on the book circuit. Ahh, the life of a sample sock. Glamor at it's best.

What I can show you is the yarn I'm using. One of the sock classics. Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. The color?
Lornas Laces - Cranberry
Lornas Laces - Cranberry
Cranberry. A beautiful pretty much solid shade of reddish purple brown. I do love Lorna's. I have two other pairs of socks knit with it and they hold up great. It must be the nylon content. The only problem I find with it is that it doesn't frog very nicely. I've already had to rip my sock once (the chart is HUGE!) and the yarn just doesn't seem to bounce back as well as some others. It ends up a bit splitty after. So, to prevent future over frogging and icky splitty yarn, I'm going to borrow a technique from the lace knitters and use a lifeline. The task of picking up stitches after I frogged was a nightmare, and the yarn just isn't tightly twisted enough to take it more than once. On the plus side though, it wears like iron, is squishy soft and the colors are amazing. A fair trade I think.

So, I'll try to post as much as I can - there may be some boring stockinette content on the Phyllo Yoked Pullover, or some cute puppy pictures. The socks may be incognito, but I'll try not to be!