------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Friday, March 14, 2008

More Little Things

So goes the month for small projects. I'm really enjoying casting one one day, casting off the next! Makes for lots of FO's! Some projects go so fast I don't even have time to blog about them!!! Like these mitts.

Peekaboo Mitts
They are the Peekaboo Mittens from MagKnits. I do love my fingerless mitts, but sometimes even the tips of my fingers get cold. These are a perfect solution. Flip top mittens, to me, take too much time and fiddling to get the top on and off. With these, you just slip your fingers out, then slip them back in, easy peasy.
Peekaboo in Action
They will be perfect for dog shows as I can take my fingers in and out as needed to open crates, give treats or whatever. Then, I just tuck them back in and they say toasty warm.

I used some stash Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. A charcoal type color for the bulk, then scraps of other colors for the stripes. It is one of those skeins I have gotten sick of looking at every time I open the stash bin. For some reason, I inherited bunches of small balls (most full skeins, some partial) of Debbie Bliss stuff (mostly merino aran and cashmerino) and really need to find a use for them. Every time I go to look in my stash, there they are, staring back at me. I know they will probably pill like crazy, and they are not machine washable, but I knit them up in about a day, so no big loss if they don't survive long.

For the next stashbusting little project this month, Thorpe is also a really quick knit that is super cute. Once again, I used stash yarn (Lang Polar, discontinued) that has been sitting way too long. I have been wanting an earflap hat, and this fits the bill!
Thorpe Front
We had really gray skies this morning, but if you look really close you can almost see buds on the trees!
Thorpe and Ace
I love the earflaps. The only thing I think I'd do different next time is maybe put the flaps a bit further forward (bind off less stitches for the front). I'd love to make the stranded version - anything I can incorporate colorwork into! It won't be the warmest hat - I couldn't knit the yarn as tight as I would have liked, but I love how cute it is! More of these are in my knitting future for sure!

Now, with NOTHING on the needles (I'm feeling slightly panicked) I'm off to browse my Ravelry queue to see what else I can cast on for next!