------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cables And Lace

Another great accessory for the cool spring days to come.

Merletto Mitts
Merletto with Coffee
Merletto Mitts
Pattern: Merletto Mitts (Ravelry link) beautifully designed by Jody (she is going to put the pattern up on her blog soon!)
Yarn: Tess Supersock and Baby (leftover from the Turret Socks)
Modifications: I made the hand 2 repeats longer and made the thumb a few rounds longer as well. I like my fingerless mitts long!

These were a quick, fun and functional knit! I wear my other pair almost every weekend at agility trials in the spring and fall. I figured it was time to add another pair to the rotation. It had to be machine washable (at the trials all sorts of doggie treats, hair and mud get stuck to them!) and I wanted something interesting. I was a bit leery of knitting them with sock yarn as I thought it would go pretty slow, but these were a quick knit. The pattern was intuitive and kept my interest. Believe it or not, there is still have yarn left! These skeins of Tess are huge! I did get some color bleed as I was knitting (blue finger syndrome) but I'm hoping a good soak with some vinegar will solve it.

All in all, great yarn, great pattern!

PS - I have a full, untouched skein of this same yarn (Tess Supersock) in the same color if anyone would like to trade (for the same yarn, different color, or a different yarn all together!). After doing the socks and these mitts, I'm a bit sick of looking at the same blue!
Merletto Mitts