------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Faster! Faster!

Why must I always pick wet, dreary days to block things? The hoodie is still drying. I have put a fan on it to hasten the process and hopefully give me a dry, ready to photo sweater by tonight. Hubby has to leave for class not too long after I get home, so I may be relegated to using the self timer, or teaching Tucker to use the camera....I'm so conflicted about this time of year. The diminishing daylight gets really depressing. What happened to being able to take photos outside at 8pm? Wasn't that just yesterday? But, I do love the crisp, cool air (though it is supposed to be in the 80's here this week!). Since the hoodie is pretty much done, I thought it was time to pick a new sweater for fall knitting.

For yarn, I really would like to use up one of the oldest yarns in my stash - some oatmeal colored Kimmet Croft Softie purchased a couple of years ago at my first MD Sheep & Wool. I only have about 1200 yds of it, and it's about a 22 sts/4" gauge, so I needed a pattern that was relatively close fitting and simple. But not boring. I came up with a few options.

Fall Sweater Choices
Now I just have to decide! There are things about each I like. I'm leaning towards Sugarplum (using some leftover DK weight sock yarn for some color, but not as many colors as shown in the original!), I also like the simplicity and classic shape of the V neck pullovers.

Being that Socktober is already 4 days in, I finally picked a sock pattern - the Victorian Lace Socks (Ravelry link) in my burgundy colored Spirit Trail Fiberworks sock yarn.
Spirit Trail Fiberworks Sock yarn
I love the color and the semi-solidness of it. The lace should really show it off. The picot edge may turn to ribbing. For me, picots never stay up as well as good old 1x1 ribbing.

Speaking of socks, have you seen the pattern for the Rainbow Socks in the new MagKnits? Makes me look at stripey yarn in a whole other way. They remind me a lot of the Short Row Striped Sweater from the Fall 2003 Interweave (see Cara's finished one here). Pretty neat.

This is a big week for the puppies. They had their first vaccinations, eye exam and will be puppy tested probably this weekend. Next weekend, the first puppies go off to their new homes! We still haven't decided who will be coming home with us yet. Lots of decisions!