------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Monday, March 05, 2007

More Inspiration

My library network is pretty great - if I can't find a book in my own library, odds are one of the libraries in the network will have it. The woman who runs my library is a knitter, which really helps, but we are a pretty small area, so what I usually do is search our network on-line. I find it, request it, and a few days later, I have it in my hot little hands. Ethnic Socks and Stockings is a title I stumbled across - I can't remember where, but I think I saw it mentioned either on someone's blog, or somewhere on a forum. Anyway, the book arrived and what inspiration! These are just a few of the socks that immediately caught my eye.

Turkish Stockings

The top part of the sock pictured below reminds me quite a bit of the pattern that Kathy knit. I like it with the variegated yarn - something I haven't tried yet. (I'd actually have to get some to do it - I only have solid sock yarn in the stash now!)

I haven't had a chance to really read through the book yet, but it looks really interesting. Lots of information on heels and toes - it may help with my sisters socks and designing a heel that will take a stranded pattern. It doesn't really have sock patterns, but more guidelines as to how to construct the sock, as well as the chart for the colorwork.
Tufted Toe Stocking
Sigh. Another book to add to the growing list to buy! Even after a quick flip through, I know this one will have some great information and has tons of instructional pages on different sock parts - it reminds me a bit of the beginning of Knitting Vintage Socks.

For an update on current sock knitting (I can't stop planning for new socks!), the Childs First Sock #1 is complete!
Childs First Sock #1
The second one is well underway - only a few repeats to go before the heel. This picture shows the color a bit better. The purple is so rich and dark that it keeps photographing as blue.

The back of the Street Smart Hoodie grows as well.
Street Smart Hoodie - back
I worked on this a bit in-between the sock and cleaning the house this weekend. I still have a ways to go, but I'm in no rush to finish this one - I'm quite enjoying the pattern. Plus, I haven't decided what I want to do about the front yet, so I'm slowing down on this one to think about it.

I had such opportunity for intensive knitting time on Saturday. Terri and I were doing some agility training and she went to give a tug toy to one of her dogs and he mistook her hand for the toy. She got a pretty good laceration, so off we were to the emergency room. It was a five hour ordeal (not too horribly bad for a city emergency room on a weekend) but with no book, no knitting, the time passed very slowly. As I sat there I thought about how much knitting I could be getting done! Oh well - she got her hand taped (they wouldn't suture it as it was a dog related injury) and is on the mend. Luckily I made up for it on Sunday with some great knitting.

Mark your calendars - two months from today is the 2007 Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival!!!! I can't believe it is coming up so quick! This will be my third year going, and I'm just as excited as I was the first year. The vendor list is posted, so the planning can begin! I guess I really have to get cranking to use up some more sock stash before I go! I plan on going Saturday for sure and hopefully meeting up with as many people as I can....