------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

River Adventure

The weather has definitely turned for the better here. Yesterday was pretty much perfect – low 80’s, a nice breeze and very low humidity. Being that hubby goes back to school in a few weeks, we decided to take off and go canoeing. We haven’t used our canoe yet this year, so it was the perfect day to break it out.

We drove a bit and ended up at East Brimfield Lake. We unloaded and the views were beautiful against the bright blue sky.

After paddling across the lake, we headed to the Quinebaug River Canoe Trail. It was a nice paddle – no rapids or anything, but a great, relaxing ride. I think we ended up doing about 7 miles total. Needless to say my shoulders and arms are a bit sore today! Tons of greenery, turtles and herons were seen as we paddled.



The canoe rest stops were very cute. Easy access spots along the river with benches and picnic tables and fire pits. We’ll have to bring a lunch next time!

All in all it was such a great day! The dogs stayed home this time as we are still dog-sitting a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and I’m not so sure she’s a water dog! (plus, she’s HUGE! We weren’t sure we could fit all three dogs in the canoe with us)

I did manage to knit some last night. The Gent’s socks are coming along – I have only about an inch left to do in the legs, then on to the heels! I’m not doing the shaping called for in the pattern as I’m making them a few inches shorter than it calls for.

I’m really liking the Trekking. It is hard if you drop a stitch, but I really like the way the plies gradually change and it seems like a workhorse yarn. There will be more of this in my stash in the future!