------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Monday, August 14, 2006

Friends, Pizza and Knitting

What a fun weekend. The weather couldn’t have been any more perfect – warm, sunny days and cool crisp nights. We had a 30th birthday party for my friend John. He is the last of our circle of friends to turn the big three-oh. (I am the oldest of our little group at 35) It was so much fun. The guys all went out and saw Talladega Nights, and we girls hung around and talked and played with their new addition
sushi kitty
Is he not the cutest thing ever!!!! So soft and very mellow. I wanted to put him in my pocket and take him home! (the dogs would have been overjoyed – they love chasing cats a bit too much!)

It was such a great day. Since we all live in different states we don’t get to see each other that often, so we really enjoy it when we can all hang out together.

Of course, hubby couldn’t leave New Hampshire without one of these (ruler for comparative purposes!)

Big John Open
That, my friends, is a Big John pizza from Constantly Pizza in Concord. When we lived there we were very frequent customers. It is not nearly as greasy as it looks in the picture - that was after sitting the hour and a half car ride home in the trunk, and in the fridge overnight. Theirs is the closest to New York style that we could find. So now, whenever we are in New Hampshire we bring home a pizza. Not necessarily the Big John, but a pizza from there. This pizza is HUGE (that is an understatement). It is a 24 incher! It does not even fit through a doorway flat – you have to tip the box slightly to get it through!! Crazy! It is really good though. We have yet to find pizza as good at home. Sad.

Sunday was a nice day – I did work at daycare for the morning and evening, but in-between I had a nice chunk of time to relax. I actually did nothing but knit and sit on the deck. I can’t remember the last time I just sat (except on vacation). It felt great. Another perfect weather day.
lazy sunday

The lawn really needed to be cut, and I did try but the mower kept dying every few feet, so I abandoned it about ½ way through. There will be time for that today.

The Gents socks are coming along great. I have done both heels and am chugging slowly down the foot. I have yet to do short row heels without a glitch of some kind. I keep doing them because one of these times they will come out perfect! These were very close. I fudged a tiny place where a stitch got dropped. I still cant’ figure out how to pick up stitches on a short row heel without ripping the entire thing out. That was not going to happen! So, a tiny hole to sew up later. I can live with that.
gents sock heel turn
I’m not sure what the heck is up with the ribbing – I honestly first noticed it as I edited the picture! It just looks like I increased or something. Very strange. Was someone else knitting on my socks????

The new Rebecca preview is also up. A few things caught my eye, but I know that the magazines have way more patterns than what is shown. I’d have to see it in person to make final judgement!