------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

It's that time of year

With that little chill in the air the past few nights, my thoughts have turned to fall. I know summer isn’t over quite yet – there are still a few weeks left to enjoy it, but feeling that chill got me thinking.

Soup is one of my favorite fall dishes. I can make a big batch one night and have enough for lunches all week. Easy. After seeing this Spicy Bean Soup recipe on Jessica’s blog, I knew I had to try it! I made it up the other night and it is deeeelish! Nice and spicy but not overpowering, and tons of veggies and beans to fill me up. A winner!
Fall sweaters have also come back into my head. After a summer of knitting exclusively socks (which I have looooooved!!) I think I am ready to venture back to the world of sweater knitting. I am not giving up sock knitting – no way – but I have a few sweaters worth of yarn I’d like to find projects for. There is nothing like that feeling of completing a sweater and wearing it out for the first time!

So, I looked at the yarn I had: 1 bag – 10 skeins,1360 yds – Berroco Softwist Bulky: 16 sts 4”, wool/rayon blend in a bright olive color and 1 bag – 10 skeins, 1200yds – Rowan Cork: 14 sts 4”, merino/nylon blend in a light beige color. I grabbed my magazines and books and set to work.

I came up with ten (yes, ten!) designs that I liked between the two yarn possibilities that I had enough existing yardage for.

The Fall Top Ten



1. “Bless” from Rowan Cork Collection
2. Yellow Sweater with Cables from Rebecca #28
3. Light Blue Cabled sweater from Rebecca #30
4. “Smocking on the Move” from Winter 2003 Interweave Knits
5. “Fur Trimmed Wrap Sweater” from Fall 2005 Interweave Knits (I’d do it without the fur trim!)
6. Keyhole Neck Sweater from Spring/Summer 2000 Vogue Knitting
7. “Cables in Chamonoix” from The Yarn Girls Guide to Beyond the Basics
8. “Marseilles Pullover” from Summer 2006 Interweave Knits
9. Pullover in Alaska from Drops 79 #24
10. Cabled Pullover from Drops 57 #1

There they be. Any favorites, or ones you have done that I should avoid for certain reasons? It’s quite a range – from the very simple wrap and keyhole sweaters – to the more complex cabled ones. I’m a fan of both. I think a nice, simple sweater has it’s place in a wardrobe. I would ideally like something comfortable, easy to wear and just “throw on” to head out. In looking, I actually found a few that I hadn’t considered before in flipping through all my mags and books. Strange how your eye and tastes change. That’s why I keep all my magazines! You never know what you will like or what will appeal to you in the future! Two I didn't include are the Urban Aran and Easy Street - both from the Patons Street Smart book. Not sure why, they were on my list, but I just got a little over anxious I guess and uploaded before I was ready!

The Gents socks are so close to done! I have one more 8 row repeat to go, then I start the toe! I was hoping to finish them today on my lunch, but I forgot them at home! (though I am tempted to drive home and get them, I think maybe I’ll just go for a walk) I should hopefully be able to finish the knitting on them tonight, and maybe graft toes tomorrow.