------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Monday, August 21, 2006

Almost glad to be back to work!

What a crazy weekend. We had a fundraiser for the local animal shelter at the kennel, so I was there about 13 hours a day. I was completely exhausted. The good news is that we raised over $1000! I'm glad to be back on schedule today. I'm still a bit tired from all the running around, and looking forward to some lunch knitting.

In other exciting doggie news, Terri's Red Merle girl, Deuce won BEST IN SHOW in New York this weekend! Her first! She is ranked #6 dog in the country right now, and I'm sure this will get her into the top 5! Yay!

I finally got around to some knitting on Sunday. I started Smocking on the Move, and it is a quick knit! I'm using #10 needles (quite a change from the sock size I've been using all summer!) and am already at the sleeve cap. (picture is from earlier in the day - I wanted to take advantage of the glimpse of sun we got!)

It is a really pretty green color with a nice drape and sheen. It can be a bit splitty when knitting with it, but not too bad. I actually managed to get both row and stitch gauge with this one. That is pretty much unheard of for me! Must be a good sign for this sweater!

I also finished the Gents Socks!

I love how they came out, and they fit perfectly! I think the yarn was a great match for the pattern. You can still see it, but it still shows off the yarn. The colors are just beautiful!


Pattern: Gentleman's Fancy Socks from "Knitting Vintage Socks"
Yarn: Trekking XXL #100 bought at MDS&W this year

Edited to add: I should note that I did modify the pattern - I cast on 72 sts and did not do any of the decreases as I made the leg shorter than the pattern called for. I also did a short row heel - looking back, I would have rather kept the pattern "pure" and knit the heel Nancy called for. Live and learn.

I think I finally decided on my next socks - they won't be my only project as I'm working on the sweater also, but they will make a great lunch project as the sweater is too big to lug around. The Conwy socks from Knitting on the Road. I plan on using my skein of potluck brights from Cherry Tree Hill.

The colors are nice and bright, so the cables should hopefully pop!

I'm off to read all the stuff I missed over the weekend. I feel like I haven't been on the 'net in ages!!