------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Inspiration

After seeing so many references to these books around the knitting web, I decided to check a few out of the library. Barbara Walker’s Treasury of Knitting Patterns, Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns, and her Book of Charted Knitting Designs. Talk about overwhelming. I just did a quick flip through when I was at the library and I was amazed, inspired and motivated to create something – anything, from these patterns.

In looking at the books in a little more detail (I haven’t had a chance to look at the charted design book in detail yet) I see so many patterns that look familiar. Parts of socks, scarves and sweaters that have been floating around the web. You can see where people got their inspiration. There were so many interesting patterns – ribs, cables, slip stitch, lace (yes, I said lace) it was crazy. I really liked how with the description of the pattern she gives good suggestions as to what it may be best used for. In some she says it may make a great pattern for socks, others for sweaters or shawls. In some, she also gives a clue as to if the pattern is stretchy or not. So much information crammed into little paragraphs about each stitch.

It is kind of overwhelming to look at the patterns, and imagine all the possibilities. Simple applications, like a scarf or even socks seem plausible. I spotted a few that I really love, and hope to make into something (need more solid sock yarn!) in the future.

All in all, these books were a pleasure to browse through, and gave me lots to think about!

After the mind numbing number of lacey patterns that I thought could be placed very nicely into the legs/insteps of socks, and wanting to knit a pair of varigated Hedera's similar to these I joined The Amazing Lace. It looks hilarious - with challenges and everything (I wonder if there will be yeilds and roadblocks?). It fits the bill perfectly. And, who knows, that Madil shawl I spied in a Summer 2004 issue of IK is lace too....