------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Shhhh - It's a secret!

Well, the new SP6 questions were posted. Most are the same, but I figured my answers may have changed, and there is a new question! So, here goes:

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

I have knit with acrylic for the wee ones (my little cousin is in love with bugs and likes to get “down in the dirt” with them) but for me and for gifts, I prefer natural and blends. (I recently found tencel blended with wool – how soft!!!!) I like soft wool like Merino, but not so much a fan of the more Lopi or Kureyon type feeling stuff. (though it is nice to felt with!)

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

My sister spins and crochets, so of course, I do neither! I do like to watch her though – I also like to give her hints on what type of yarn I’d like her to spin next!

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

Nope! I’m not a big fan of perfumy things (not into the whole scented candle/sachets thing) but I have 2 dogs and would have cats if they’d let me! I also really hate the smell of smoke!

4. How long have you been knitting?

Lets see….I started my first project in January, so I’ll say almost for 9 months. (wow – that’s it?? I feel like it’s been so much longer! I guess ‘cause I like to pick stuff that’s a challenge!)


5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I do have a froogle wish list that I just started....

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Can’t really think of any as I’m not a fan of perfumed stuff. I have some freesia lotion but have to mix it ½ and ½ with regular to knock the scent down. I also have a Bath and Body works body butter that I like in some cotton scent, but again, the scent is a bit much so I use it very sparingly! I guess I like clean crisp scents that aren’t overly flowery.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Yes, but I am not a chocolate person! My favorite is Swedish Fish (but, only the “official” Swedish Fish brand, and only the red ones – not a fan of the mixed colors!), red licorice laces and Brachs Candy Corn. Gummy Bears are not far behind...

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

Quilting, used to do cross stitch but haven’t picked it up in years, I make birthday and anniversary cards for friends and family, but mainly knitting.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I have very eclectic tastes in music – my ipod mini (thanks hubby!) has everything from techo mixes to James Taylor! I don’t really listen to it except at the gym. Even in the car I just like the white noise or NPR.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I’d say I always lean towards the winter or summer colors (I love burgundy, pastel blue, deep purples, lavender, etc) I also like browns and grays, so I guess the only real color I shy away from is yellow (clashes with my pink skin!)

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Married very happily with 2 very active dogs.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

Geez – that requires me to think ahead! It will be great when the hubby is out of school earning real money – we’ll have a little less stress in that area, and I just want us to be healthy and happy!!!

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I looooove Rowan All Seasons Cotton!!! I am knitting for the first time with it, and it is great! I’d love to try some of the new Bamboo and Tencel yarn out there (the SWTC Karaoke yarn looks incredible!), and I’m dying to get my hands on some KnitPicks (I’ll probably order some Andean Silk for an Hourglass sweater soon!) there are so many on my list of “want to try”! The Opal Rainforest Zebra and Tiger yarn looks really fun, and a bunch I’ve heard glowing reviews on are Karabella Aurora 8, Rowan Cork, and Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. I’d love to try some GGH Savanna too! There are WAY too many nice yarns out there!

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I’m not a fan of the furry stuff – I did knit my cousin a skirt out of Patons ChaCha, but using it for kids stuff is about it! Acrylic and any scratchy stuff – ick.


15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

I’d have to say socks and Rebecca Magazine! I knit two pairs of ankle socks recently, and I loved it! My dad just got me Rebecca 28 and I really like the magazine! I also want to organize and see what I have in my stash and what pattern to match it with. I’m excited to start some fall/winter knitting again!!!!

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I liked the couple of kids things I did because they were quick, but I really like any pattern that is easy to read and follow. I’m in the middle of a Rowan cabled pattern (my first) and it is a nice challenge so far. I have liked just about everything I’ve knit so far!

17. What are you knitting right now?

I am working on “Hope” from Rowan 29, and starting the Diagonal Rib Socks from IK.

18. What do you think about ponchos?

I did knit the Union Square Poncho from Weekend Knitting – I love the pattern, but I’m not a huge fan – I’m not even sure I’ll wear the one I knit!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

I have my Denises’ which I use for almost everything, but I have a complete set of bamboo straights that serve me very wall also!

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo if straights, my Denises if circular (or the occasional bamboo if I have doubles) – I haven’t tried Addi’s, but I hated the metal Boye I had tried once!

21. Are you a sock knitter?

Proud to say “yes”! I just completed my 2nd pair of ankle socks, and am moving on to the Diagonal Rib socks from IK. I have about 4 more skeins of Kroy sock yarn in my stash, but I’d love to get my hands on some of the luxury stuff – Lorna’s Laces.

22. How did you learn to knit?

Entirely self-taught. Mostly from books, the Internet and a bit from a local knitting group when I was stuck on something.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

Less than a month – my current project.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I love watching Family Guy on Fox. I guess I don’t have a “favorite” animated character. (unless Dora the Explorer counts when I watch it with my 4 year old cousin.) Favorite animal – hmmmm...I have 2 dogs that I love dearly, and used to own 2 horses that I competed regularly...but, as far as a favorite, that’s a tough one.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

I’d have to say Thanksgiving – it’s the only time we really get all the family together. (oh – and the food!)

26. Is there anything that you collect?

I don’t really collect anything – I have a bunch of Wedgewood that I got from my parents, and some from my Husband, but I’m not really into accumulating things – I guess just yarn and patterns!!

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Interweave Knits. I’d love a few more Rebecca Mags and maybe Rowan.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?

Let’s see – the Vogue Ultimate Knitting Book - I have the pocket reference smaller one, but it's missing a lot of stuff that would be in the big one. Scarf Style looks really neat with a bunch of scarves I'd love to make and Textured Knits is a new favorite that I got at the library and found quite a bit that I like, and A Treasury of Rowan Knits (I’m sure I could find 8-10 things in there to knit).and maybe the Knitters Handy Book of Patterns (still undecided on this one) – I could use it for gloves and sweaters and all kinds of gifts.

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??

There is a Dale of Norway pattern in book 128 that I like, as well as the Jo Sharp Book 5.