------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Not Stuck on That Island

Thanks for all the well wishes! It's hard to believe it's been almost two weeks and I'm still not back to 100%. If you see this thing around, run screaming!

It was pretty sad that I was home from work for a week and really got no knitting done to speak of. I was just so tired and my brain just wouldn't function. Before I got sick, however, I did manage to get both sleeves done for the Phyllo Yoked Pullover.

Phyllo sleeves
The Silky Wool is a real pleasure to knit with. The little nubs of silk give it an almost tweedy look, and I really love this brown. An almost milk chocolate color. It blocked beautifully. I am a bit worried about how hourglass shaped the sleeves are though. None of the pictures I looked at had severely bell shaped sleeves. I figure the seaming process can take up some slack if they end up being too "belly". They look great style wise, but for functionality on a day to day basis, they are useless and annoying! I am glad I did the sleeves first though. They are a bear to get through when you have all the other parts done! There was no way I was going to be stranded on sleeve island this time!

Now that the sleeves are done and blocked, I did start the back. Lots of people have converted this sweater to be done in the round, but I kind of like side seams - they provide a nice structure and frame for the sweater. I haven't had a problem with any of my seamed sweaters stretching out, but some of the ones I knit in the round have. So, I'm following the directions and doing it in pieces. It's a lot of boring stockinette, but after being so sick for so long, it's about all I can take right now!

To up the cuteness factor of this post, I figured I'd throw in a Tucker picture. He very rarely plays with toys, but when the urge strikes, he goes at it with a vengeance. He loves things that squeak, and when the rare occasion comes up that he does play, his favorite thing to do is just hold the toy in his mouth and squeak, squeak, squeak. Nothing violent or rambunctious, just simple jaw clenches. It makes hubby and I laugh out loud every time. As soon as the urge to play is there, it's gone. It's like a switch. All of a sudden, he's no longer interested and simply walks away. He's a strange one sometimes.....
Tucker and Mean Kitty