------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

It's a Wrap!

It turned out exactly how I wanted it. A comfy, soft, basic sweater to wear in the cool spring and summer nights over a tank or bathing suit.

I took advantage of the recent warm snap and ventured outside for some pictures.
(Squinty pictures ahead! That big round thing was out and we haven't seen it in quite a while!)

Wrap Sweater
Wrap Sweater - side
Pattern: Kniting Pure and Simple Wrap Cardigan #263
Yarn: Naturelle 8/8, a cotton blend
Needles: #8 Knitpicks circulars
Modifications: Due to the cotton content of the Naturelle, I added about 20% length to everything. After a wash and dry, it shrunk up just about perfect! I also added waist shaping, trying it on as I went to decide when/where to increase/decrease. The joy of top down sweaters!

The yarn is amazing stuff. For as much as I hate knitting with cotton, after a wash and tumble dry it got about a bazillion times softer and denser. The stitches evened out and look beautiful. The yarn was a bit splitty, but well worth it for this application. I'm not sure I'd do a sweater out of it again - it was really rough on the hands!

For the miles of stockinette I had to knit, I'm happy with the result. I was ultimately looking for a sweater to take to the Outer Banks this summer and wear at night when it got cool. Mission accomplished!