------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Beginnings and Middles

I feel stuck in the middle with these New England Socks. They travel with me to work every day, and sit by the sofa at night just waiting for some attention. The first beautiful sock comes with me in the knitting bag to remind me of my goal. It has been slow and steady with this one. Knitting time the past few months has just been very sparse. Happily, I did make some progress last night. We have passed the gusset and are deep in the throws of foot knitting!

New England past gusset
The color makes me happy just looking at it. Officially halfway done (three diamond repeats done, three to go!), my desire to just sit down and finish is strong. With the weather forecast that we are having, I think Mother Nature is helping out to keep me housebound. (from the National Weather Service)

A SHORT DURATION BUT HIGH IMPACT SNOWFALL WILL AFFECT MASSACHUSETTS... ESPECIALLY AREAS ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE MASSACHUSETTS TURNPIKE...THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE LIKELY...WITH MOST OF THE SNOW FALLING IN A 6 HOUR PERIOD.
12 13 07 Weather
Us - we are south of the Massachusetts Turnpike. Lucky! The snow is supposed to start around noon time and come down at over an inch an hour for a while. We get a break tomorrow and Saturday, but a really big storm is winding in for Saturday night and Sunday. I'm thinking Sunday may be a perfect stay in my PJ's all day kind of day. I can't remember the last one of those I had! We are doing a lot of re-organizing in the house, and we really need a day to just concentrate and get it done. Fingers crossed we get a whopper of a storm.

The yoke sweater (I will come up with a more creative name) got some knitting time the other night. The fabric that the Kimmet Croft yarn is creating is just wonderful. With the angora content (it's a 75% merino, 25% angora) it has a little bit of a halo, but not bad at all. It will bloom wonderfully when it's finally done and soaking.
Yoke Sweater to waist
I am done with about three-quarters of the waist decreases, then it will be tried on for fit and I'll knit the straight waist section. It's a mish mash of patterns - the Sugarplum pullover, Mrs. Zimmerman's famous EPS system, as well as the Yoke Sweater pattern from the ever Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. With all that conglomeration, hopefully it will come out fitting well!

I used a tubular cast on as I'm not sure what I'm doing with the hem yet. I would love to do a contrasting trim hem, but I'm not sure about my yarn amounts. Now, I don't have to worry - I can wait and do it at the end! (the green is a nice contrast though, huh?) My yoke plans are still a little up in the air, but I have come up with a few designs I like. Colors and final patterns are still in the works.

I'm off to get as much work done as I can before the first flakes fly!