------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sign of More to Come

With a few days of sunshine, things have started greening up around here. Still not what I'd condsider a "lush landscape" but we are on our way. I figured I'd contribute my little bit of green to help things along.

Little Childs Done
Little Childs Sock

Pattern: Little Child's Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: Lisa Souza Hardtwist in Bluegrass
Needles: KnitPicks Classic Circulars, #3's
Modifications: I omitted about 10 rows of plain stockinette before the instep texture. Hubby didn't want knee socks. I also used larger yarn and needles than called for but left all the stitch counts the same. Worked like a charm!


Once again, Nancy Bush comes through. After finishing up these last night, I looked at the skein of Shelridge Soft Touch sitting there waiting for a pattern. I'm not sure what triggered it, but all of a sudden a few recent blog posts sprung to mind - Elinor's, Miriam's and Kathy's to be specific. They all made the Canal Du Midi from Knitting on the Road. I have been looking at these socks forever. Why I haven't knit them until now, I have no idea. So, for now the designing is on the back burner (I do have a "meeting" with my sister in a few weeks to plan out her next pair) and Nancy will guide me again. Her patterns are like a big cozy chair and a soft blanket with a cup of cocoa on a cold day. Pure comfort. This sock has both a heel and toe I have not done before, so I am really looking forward to trying them.

After spending most of a beautiful weekend day browsing through all the design and pattern books, I came across a new book on the blogs that just came out - Selbuvotter looks to be an interesting Nancy Bush type conglomeration of both knitting patterns and history. Just look at all those mittens on the cover! This one is going on my short list for sure!