------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Monday, June 05, 2006

A Last Minute Change in Partner!

So, dad’s socks are both done except for the toes. I had my sister bring one home to my dad to have him try it on, and it’s a touch too long. So, I need to rip back a few rows, then start the toe. I’m still not planning to kitchner it shut until he tries it on again! They will fit!

In other sock news, my first partner for The Amazing Lace did not bring all the necessary support gear (AKA, I didn’t have the right size needle!), so a new partner was chosen. Don’t worry Louet Opal, I have a needle on the way! You will be my next partner for sure! (For a pattern, I already picked the Simply Lovely Lace Socks from the Spring 06 IK)

Meet my new first AL partner!

That there is 2 skeins of Lornas Laces in the bright cheery color of Daffodil. The pattern – Falling Leaves from Knitty. A lot of you commented that I should pick this yarn or the pink STR – since I didn’t have needles for the STR (would be the same darn ones I’d use for the Opal), the LL won out!

I cast on yesterday and finished the toe. It took a while but I really like it. It has k3tog and p3tog’s in it – not a short row toe I have seen before, and a bit tricky at first, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn’t bad, and I think it came out pretty neat! It almost looks like there are holes in it (I thought so and started getting paranoid!) but they are just lower stitches. No holes here!

I’m hoping the colors won’t obscure the pattern too much. I plan on just repeating the lace pattern up the leg until I’m just about out of yarn. I had bunches of LL left over from my jungle socks, and I plan on using up as much of this as possible for some comfy socks!

On the bold and daring front, I think I may try 2 socks on 1 circular. I'm really comfortable with Magic Loop, and this is a toe up sock pattern anyway and written for circulars, and I have 2 skeins of LL to use instead of splitting a ball, it seems like a good fit! I'll knit the other toe, then move them both back to the circular. We'll see what happens. If I get frustrated enough, I'll just move one to holders until the first one is done....