------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Monday, March 20, 2006

Fun Fair Isle!

I sat down on Friday night and finally got to the fair isle part of the Snowflake hat. I have no idea why I was so nervous to start - what is the worst that could happen??? By the time I went to bed, I had this:
The first row or two has some wonky stitches, but considering it is my first fair isle, and my first time knitting with two hands, I was pretty proud! It was so much easier than I thought. Watching the pattern appear after every row was so neat! I can see how it is addictive! I had to remember to keep the floats loose, but the hard part was at the joins of the cord - I wasn't sure just how loose or tight to keep the floats. It got better as I went along, and by the end of Grey's Anatomy last night this was done:
Not bad! It was so much fun! I really feel like I could (dare I say) easily tackle the Norwegan Stockings, or another project similar. I don't think I'd every do a whole fair isle sweater, but one with it around the yoke or something may be in the future. As far as knitting in the round, I wasn't sure how to make the pattern so that there was no "jog" when it was joined at the end of a round. I guess keeping a solid/background color as the first stitch all the way down? I'm sure there is a trick to it, I just have to do some research to find out how. It isn't too glaring on the hat, but I'd like to know for the future! As I went along, it got easier, and the stitches got more even.

Next, I think I am going to make some gauntlets for me next. Not sure which. I was thinking about these or these. Something with simple cables using the purple superwash hand dyed yarn. I've been using gloves at daycare to do the outside work, and it's a pain to have to take them on and off to open the kennels, snap on leashes, etc. These, I think, would make a useful addition!

So much for the first day of spring! There was a light dusting of snow on the ground when I woke up this morning!