------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Thursday, January 12, 2006

A New Sock!

I started the Lux Sockees (the name just makes me smile) in the Sockotta. I had about 1/2 hour to kill at the dentist office, so I cast on and spent about 15 minutes detangling the yarn throwup that came out of the middle of the skein. I proceeded on last night and got about 1 1/2" done. The simple K6P2 pattern is easy, I acutally love the no cuff look for these, and the yarn is soft and easy to work with. The new needles, Inox Experss, are a bit more slippery then I'm used to, but I like how the stitches slide. The cord is actually a bit long - I got a 40", but probalby should have grabbed a 32" or 36" - whatever they come in. But, it is very workable and I'm liking it.

My friend Heather and I got together for a knit/magazine night last night. Her mom got her a huge pile of knitting magazines from someone who was going to throw them away! There were piles of Vogue Knitting, Interweave Knits and Family Circle Easy Knitting, some current, some older. There was also some Creative Knitting and a few pattern books. We just took a quick glance through, but it definitely warrants further delving at a later date! She'll probalby end up trading most of them, or selling on Ebay. There were so many!

I did a gauge swatch last night for S's sweater. Of course, it didn't fly. I was getting 20 st/4" instead of the required 18. I may try going up a needle size, but I don't know if I'm going to like the fabric at that point. It is a basic (very!) pullover, so I'm sure I can just re-write it for the new gauge, and in the round maybe. I think the Handy Book of Sweater Patterns may come in handy! A stop at the library today after work...