------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Last Day of Winter

With the bright sunshine and fresh almost foot of snow, hubby and I decided to take the boys to the park yesterday for some romping and running in what may be the last snow of the season.

It was a bit windy.

Ravin in the Wind
The boys had a blast. They played in the snow,
Boys playing in snow
they played beaver and tried to take down a small tree,
Tucker and Otis playing beaver
and ran a lot.
Otis Head On
We all went home happy and tired.
View from the front seat
(my view from the front seat looking back)

After we got home and everyone was settled in for a nap (including hubby) I went back to work on the Turkish Stocking. First, I had to figure out what I wanted to do for a heel if I was to do them top down. The whole point of these is to have the patterning go down the heel flap so my clog wearing sister can show them off. There are lots of neat patterns out there, but really none carry the pattern down the heel flap and are done top down. I did find a few exceptions. Both the Arch Shaped Stockings from Vogue Knitting and the Norwegian Stockings from Folk Socks both have patterns that run down the heel. The Norwegian involves breaking and re-attaching yarn, so I have to read up a bit more on that as well as the technique for the arch shaped stockings. One of these really has to work. I am bound and determined to knit these socks!

After my research yielded a bit of hopeful news, I cast on again. Knitting away happy doing my colorwork, I realized that I really am not a huge fan of the side motifs in the pattern (the 2 pattern columns on either side of the main design). A little more digging and I found a substitute in a library book I had - Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting. (Isn't my library the best??) So, now I just need to re-chart the sides to incorporate the new motif. For now, I did get the motif on the top done.
Turkish Start Top Down
I can see these are going to need a good blocking!