------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Friday, January 20, 2006

2nd Try's a Charm!

I ripped out S's sweater front and started the intarsia again - just a heart. It is going much better, and with only three balls of yarn to deal with, I can concentrate a bit on getting the technique right. I did about 1/2 the chart last night, so I should be able to finish up tonight, then sew it together this weekend and pop it in for a wash. I noticed the Honeymoon Cami I did out of Cotton Ease got much softer and bloomed a bit after a run through the washer and dryer.

All the thrift sweaters are now pulled apart -

Purple Gap Sweater

Long Merino Sweater


Chunky Winter White Gap Sweater

The long merino sweater yeilded about 2500 yards! We weighed a small skein and extrapolated from there. The chunky winter white is interesting stuff - it must be a 15 or 20 ply yarn - here is a close up:

It is incredibly soft and cushy. It is merino/lambswool/mohair. Not very "hairy" but it looks like it is going to be very splitty when knitting with it. I think it is destined for an adventure with some Kool Aid. I've been wanting to do some dying, and this stuff is just right. I can make a nice cozy scarf or mittens (or both!). All in all, the 3 sweaters cost me about $10. Not bad.....

Hourglass is DONE except for blocking. I ended up doing a simple single crochet border at the neck. I did the knitting to do the sewn hem that the pattern instructs, but I just didn't like the bulk up there. I ripped back and just did the crochet. My first time crocheting! It was pretty darn easy, and made a nice firm edge. Can't wait to wear it this weekend!