------------------------------- ------------------------------------ On and Off The Needles

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I made it!

Got the word this morning that I made it into SP5! So, I guess I should post the questionaire so they can find out a bit about me.....this was quite the task to fill out!!!!
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I have knit with acrylic for the wee ones (my little cousin is in love with bugs and likes to get “down in the dirt” with them) but for me and for gifts, I prefer natural and blends. (I recently found tencel blended with wool – how soft!!!!) I like soft wool like Merino, but not so much a fan of the more Lopi or Kureyon type feeling stuff. (though it is nice to felt with!)
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
My sister spins and crochets, so of course, I do neither! I do like to watch her though – I also like to give her hints on what type of yarn I’d like her to spin next!
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Nope! I’m not a big fan of perfumy things (not into the whole scented candle/sachets thing) but I have 2 dogs and would have cats if they’d let me! I also really hate the smell of smoke!
4. How long have you been knitting?
Lets see….I started my first project in January, so I’ll say 6 months. (wow – that’s it?? I feel like it’s been so much longer! I guess ‘cause I like to pick stuff that’s a challenge!)
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Debating on setting up one on Froogle - not sure if it'd be useful!
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Can’t really think of any as I’m not a fan of perfumed stuff. I have some freesia lotion but have to mix it ½ and ½ with regular to knock the scent down. I also have a Bath and Body works body butter that I like, but I can't remember the scent. Cotton something? I got it a few years back as a gift. But again, the scent is a bit much so I use it very sparingly! I guess I like clean crisp scents that aren’t overly flowery.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, but I am not a chocolate person! My favorite is red licorice laces (not the thick Twizzler kind, but the laces). A very close second are Swedish Fish (but, only the “official” Swedish Fish brand, and only the red ones – not a fan of the mixed colors!), followed up by Gummy Bears……(yes, I'm way too picky about my sweets!)
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Quilting, used to do cross stitch but haven’t picked it up in years, I make birthday and anniversary cards for friends and family, I have a veggie garden, I love being outside and using my new canoe, but for crafty stuff, mainly knitting. I have to say, I also quite enjoy my drill and circular saw when I find ways to use them!
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have very eclectic tastes in music – my ipod mini (thanks hubby!) has everything from techo mixes to James Taylor! I don’t really listen to it except at the gym. Even in the car I just like the white noise or NPR.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I’d say I always lean towards the winter/fall or summer colors (I love burgundy, pastel blue, deep purples, lavender, etc) I also like browns and grays, so I guess the only real color I shy away from is yellow (clashes with my pink skin!)
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married very happily with 2 very active dogs.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Geez – that requires me to think ahead! It will be great when the hubby is out of school earning real money – we’ll have a little less stress in that area, and I just want us to be healthy and happy!!!
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I haven’t tried tons of different kinds, but I liked knitting with the Cascade 220 I had, and the Rowan All Seasons. I’d love to try some of the new Bamboo and Tencel yarn out there (the stuff at Elann that is Tencel and Alpaca looks devine!), and I’m dying to get my hands on some KnitPicks (I’ll probably order some Andean Silk for an Hourglass sweater soon!) there are so many on my list of “want to try”! A few good ones are Karabella Aurora 8, Rowan Cork, and Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. There are WAY too many nice yarns out there!
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I’m not a fan of the furry stuff – I did knit my cousin a skirt out of Patons ChaCha, but using it for kids stuff is about it! Acrylic and any scratchy stuff – ick.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Using up my ever growing stash with the projects I have planned (actually deciding on a project is hard!), fixing the stuff that needs to be frogged, and start on a few tanks for summer.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I liked the couple of kids things I did because they were quick, but I really like any pattern that is easy to read and follow. I’m in the middle of a bunch of different Knitty patterns, and have a Rowan waiting in the wings.
17. What are you knitting right now?
I just finished blocking the Wavy scarf for my cousin, have 15 rows left of the not so Very Tall Socks (making them calf high instead for my sister), rekintting the ribbon Xback I did…..start the Honeymoon Cami and sirenetta shell and have a simple single cable sweater waiting in the wings….yeesh – I hope that’s all!
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I did knit the Union Square Poncho from Weekend Knitting – I love the pattern, but I’m not a huge fan – I’m not even sure I’ll wear the one I knit!
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I have my Denises’ which I use for almost everything, but I have a complete set of bamboo straights that serve me very wall also!
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo if straights, my Denises if circular (or the occasional bamboo if I have doubles) – I haven’t tried Addi’s, but I hate metal!
21. Are you a sock knitter?
I’d like to get more into them, I think I made a big boo-boo picking the very tall socks as my first pair, but I’m doing the “2 socks on 2 circulars” and it’s going ok. After these are done I may try “normal” socks. I have about 4 skeins of sock yarn waiting patiently.
22. How did you learn to knit?
From a book, the Internet and a bit from a local knitting group when I was stuck on something.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 2 1/2 months – those Very Tall Socks……
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love watching Family Guy on Fox, does Dora the Explorer count when I watch it with my cousin? As far as animals go - my undergrad major was Preveterinary if that says anythign! They are all pretty neat - of course I looooove my 2 boys, I wish I could have cats, and I rode/showed horses for years....
25. What is your favorite holiday?
I’d have to say Thanksgiving – it’s the only time we really get all the family together.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really – just yarn and patterns if you consider that collecting and not hoarding!
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Interweave Knits - if all goes well, maybe Rowan after the holidays!
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Let’s see – Scarf Style looks really neat, A Treasury of Rowan Knits (I’m sure I could find 8-10 things in there to knit)….and maybe the Knitters Handy Book of Patterns (still undecided on this one) – I could use it for gloves and sweaters and all kinds of gifts. But, what I’d really like to check out is Rebecca – I checked out #28 and really like some of the patterns!